The English word ‘communication’ has been derived from the Latin word, ‘Communicare’ which means to impart or participate or to transmit. The word ‘Communicare’ is derived from the root ‘Communis’ which means to make common or to share.
1) the activity or process of sharing or exchanging ideas, feelings, information, experience between two or more persons;
2) an act or instance of transmitting;
3) the information actually communicated by some means.
Definitions of communication:
1) The Oxford English Dictionary defines communication as “the action of conveying or exchanging information and ideas.”
2) Peter Little defines communication as “the process by which information is transmitted between individuals and or organizations so that an understanding response results.”
3) Allen Lui (Louis) defines communication as “ Communication is the sum of all the things one person does when he wants to create understanding in the mind of another. It is a bridge of meaning. It involves a systematic process of telling, listening, understanding and responding.”
4) Keith Davis defines communication as “Communication is the transfer of information and understanding from one person to another.”